Yerevan State University was established on May 16, 1919 by the decision of the Government of the Republic of Armenia. Government officials of the first independent republic, established in 1918, faced a number of problems, which could not be ignored, but the formation of the high education institution had a high priority. This was realized on January 31 of in 1920 in Alexandrapol’s (now Gyumri) trade school. The lessons in the university started in February of 1920. The first lecture was held by an outstanding scientist Stepan Malkhasyanc.
In the beginning there was only one faculty, that of History and Linguistics, 262 students and 32 lecturers. Owing to great efforts of the first rector of YSU, Yuri Ghambaryan, an experienced staff from abroad having great pedagogical and scientific experience was invited to work in YSU. Among them the names of Hakob Manandyan, Manuk Abeghyan and Stepan Malkhasyanc should especially be mentioned.
In 1920 Armenia became a part of the Soviet Union. On the 17-th of December, the first national commissioner of education of the ASSR, Ashot Hovhannisyan, declared about "The new order of the university reformation", according to which it was to be renamed into Yerevan National University. The above said was realized by the next rector professor, specialist in Armenian Studies Hakob Manandyan.
According to the government decision of 20.10.1923, the National University was renamed into State University. Therefore, the responsibilities and the status of the university became higher, and at the same time the requirements became more complicated. Experienced lecturers from abroad with knowledge of several foreign languages were invited to work at the university.
In the 20s of the 20-th century, the university was located on Astafyan (now Abovyan) Street on the first floor of the teacher's seminary.
By now approximately 100 000 students have graduated from YSU. About 20000 students study at 19 faculties of this HEI. The educational process is conducted by more than 1600 highly qualified specialists and experts (206 professors, 557 associate professors, 427 assistants, 489 lecturers). 17 academicians of NAS RA and 14 associate members of NAS RA are also involved in the educational process of this higher education institution.
Owing to highly qualified scientists significant researches related to different modern scientific branches are implemented at YSU. The educational and research activities are organized at more than 100 chairs, which are periodically replenished with modern techniques and equipment.
Beginning with 2006 YSU Rector is NAS RA Associate Member, Doctor of History, Professor Aram Simonyan.
A number of events, dedicated to the 95th anniversary of YSU, are organized by various units and student organizations, but the main events are expected in June.