The reports to be made at the conference can refer to different fields: history, political science, international relations, psychology, sociology and others. The reports can cover not only the Armenian Genocide, but also to the Holocaust, Cambodia, Ruanda, Bangladesh and massacres committed on other nations.
The organizers of the conference are: the head of the genocide division of the Institute of Armenian Studies, Candidate of Hist. Sciences Suren Manukyan, the member of IAS, Doctor of Science, Professor Ashot Hayruni and the postgraduate of the Genocide division Nelly Abrahamyan.
In the interview to ysu.am Suren Manukyan explained the aim, the importance and desirable results of such a conference.
- We are facing a problem which requires solution: the problem is the small number of Genocide Studies specialists in Armenia. So, one of the main missions of the Genocide division of IAS is to attract people interested in the sphere, and taking into account that the interest is formed during studentship we decided to organize the event in such a format.
-Genocide Studies is a very important sphere for Armenia. It is also a political issue, and adopting the foreign political priority of recognizing the Armenian Genocide, Armenia also adopte the strategy of struggling against genocides worldwide. In this regard we undertake the responsibility not only before our nation-to prepare specialists of appropriate quality and number, but also before the world, as being the pioneer in genocide struggle and prevention we must have a school of Genocide Studies which will be engaged in the issues related to the sphere.
During the recent years we noticed the decrease of the number of Armenian specialists studying the sphere and the increase of interest among Turkish specialists. We should have the appropriate number of specialists to compete in equal conditions.
- Attracting students from foreign universities do you aim to expand the theme?
-Yes, we think so. We have already announced that the working languages of the conference will be Armenian, Russian and English. We will be glad to host all participants at YSU. This conference is a wide platform for establishing new relationship and implementation of joint programs.
- Can the conference become an annual event?
-This is the first conference in such a format. We intend to make it more inclusive later. We will try to understand to what extent this theme interest students and if they would like to develop scientific activity in this direction.
- Students of which faculties can present reports at the conference?
- Genocide Studies is an inter-subject scientific branch. Therefore, reports will be made by the students of the faculties of History, Political Science, International Relations, Law, however the students of the faculties of Sociology, Philosophy and Psychology, Journalism can do it too.
- Will the best reports made on the conference published?
- If they are worth publishing the brochure with the reports can be issued.
To participate in the conference it is necessary to present brief descriptions of the themes of the reports (about 250 words), the reporter’s CV and send them to email@example.com.